Thursday, October 2, 2008

Getting settled in Calcutta

I was only home to visit in the US for about a month. I came to Calcutta on September 16th and I'm slowly adjusting to a new city and a new way of life. After a few days in a bad housing situation (I was living as a paying guest in a family's home) I now a nice little studio apartment in a good location. My apartment was literally a studio. The owner is a photographer and there's still some photography equipment in the corner and the backgrounds are rolled up and hung at the ceiling.

I'm taking Bengali classes twice a week at a cultural institute called Ramakrishna Mission. Classes are good but I need to find a tutor and another job or volunteer op in my free time. I've got way to much free time now.

The best part about being in Calcutta is Bengali food. It's supposedly the best food in India. And I loved Indian food to begin with. I'm hoping to learn to cook some Indian dishes myself but I haven't had a chance to go to the market yet or find a good teacher.

I will update more as I get a chance and once I get internet access in my apartment I plan to write much more. In the meantime know that I'm safe and sound here and slowly getting settled into life in Calcutta.

7 comments:

Indranil Das Gupta said...

Hi Lyndsey, many welcome to our city - Kolkata. I chanced upon your blog from your IndiaMike profile. For what its worth, my fiancee is moving to Kolkata next year. She's American and speaks only very rudimentary bengali so far, but she's very keen on learning the language.

How's the Bengali course at Ramkrishna Mission? I would certainly like to know. And btw, how was your first Durga Puja experience in Kolkat?

cheers
-indra

Stephanie said...

Lyndsey..I see Indra got to leave a comment before me...LOL...yes...please tell me about your experience in transitioning and other things! I'm excited...if you want you can email me at stephaniewhiting03@gmail.com..thanks

-Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Kemon laagchhe Kolkata?
jodi ei comment ta poRte paaren, bujhben bhaaloi shikhechhen aapni.
aasha kori Ramkrishna Mission bhaaloi shekhachchhe.
Jodi kono sahajyo proyojon hoy, aamake mail korben. aami joto duur paari sahajyo korbo.
aamar mail ID aamar blog-e paaben.
http://khamkheyal.wordpress.com/dashu-paglar-koifiyot/

bhaalo thaakun, kolkata upobhog korun.

Lyndsey said...

Hi there, amar kolkata khub bhalo lagche. Ekhankar lokra, history, khabar tabar sob khub bhalo. Dashu, ami apnar lekha sob bujhte parchi. Ami roj lekha-pora sikhchi, tai ami taratari improving hocchi. Thanks for your comments.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynds, What exactly did Dashu Pagla say in his comment? I'm impressed with your knowlege of Bengali! I like your new sari and you definately look thinner.

Lyndsey said...

Who left that last comment?

Anonymous said...

I left the last comment-Mom