Monday, October 19, 2009

Kali Puja and Diwali

This past weekend was Kali Puja and Diwali. Kali is a fearsome goddess but in Bengal especially she is viewed as a Mother goddess and protector. The term puja means prayer or religious ceremony.

Diwali is the festival of light. At dusk families place small candles called prodip in the windows and doorways. The lights are a symbol or good over evil, knowledge over ignorace. Every home and building is decorated with lights and it really is a beautiful sight. It reminds me of Christmas time in the West. Along with lighting the prodip, many set off firecrackers. My neighbors have been setting them off for a few days just behind my apartment. These sound like bombs and I have to say, my heart cannot handle too many more deafening blasts.

Both of these holidays fall at the same time and in many other parts of India I think Diwali is the one that gets more attentions. But here in West Bengal, Kali Puja takes the limelight. There are pandals set up all over the city. These are temporary shrines for the goddess Kali. Some communities spends thousands of dollars to build these and Indians have a tendency to go all out. So, you can imagine, these pandals are huge and beautiful.

Since Rajdeep is away visiting family, I celebrated the Puja by myself. Mostly I just lit some prodip in the evenings and stayed indoors to avoid getting blasted by these annoying firecrackers.

I wish I had some photos of the pandals to show you. I'll try to get out and take some so you can have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

No comments: