Friday, October 16, 2009

the long overdue update

ohhhh I was going to start off by apologizing about how long it's been since I gave any sort of update on this blog but, let's face it, if you've followed the blog in the past you should already know that I'm not the most consistent poster. After months with no or very very slow internet connection, I am finally reconnected to the world and will try my best to blog more often.

There really are so many interesting things that I see or that happen to me here everyday and it is a shame that I'm not sharing these stories. ... maybe I should back up and first explain my situation.

I had been studying Bengali (the language of some parts of Northeast India and Bangladesh) from last September 08 until June 09. I completed my course at my school, Ramakrishna Mission in Kolkata and at the end of June I went back to the states for my brother's wedding in July and a good friend's wedding in August.

I finally made my way back to Kolkata September 3. So yes, I'm back in Kolkata again. Rajdeep had been working in China and staying with his family in his hometown until June so I spent the greater part of last year surviving Kolkata by myself. But this time Rajdeep is here in Kolkata with me!

I had a job teaching English lined up before I returned here but, unfortunately, it has not worked out. ..something about not enough students lined up for the courses. Anyways, that was a big disappointment but I'm trying to find some other sort of opportunity to volunteer and make use of my time.

Rajdeep is visiting his family in Assam for two weeks. That means I will have infinitely more free time and I plan to use at least some of that time to write a few updates here. Don't hold me to it, but I will try.

Coming up next.... photos from Durga Puja, are real stories of my everyday experiences here in the wonderful, yet at times daunting, city of Kolkata.

No comments: