Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Bicycle Thief

October 1st is China's national day (like the 4th of july in the US, except the Chinese aren't celebrating independence from anybody) so I have the entire week off of work. That's it for good news...

Sadly, my beloved bicycle, which I bought just 2 and a half weeks ago was stolen the other day. Its not a rare occurance here in China. I had it locked up with a massive chain and it was even hooked to a building but if theifs want it they'll take it. The Australian guy who sits beside me at work said he's had four bikes stollen in the past year. Well I went and bought a new bike today. Its more the hassle of buying a new bike than the money that bothers me. It costs just about $20 for a new bike but to buy one you have to first buy a lock from a store that sells bike locks, then you go to the store that sells bikes, then you ride your bike to a bicycle repairman sitting alongside the road and buy a basket. ..a basket might sound dorky but believe me, it's indispensible!

Well, lets see how long this new bike lasts. I give it 2 weeks. When this one gets stollen I'm going to get my 3rd one from the black market bike lot. They're all "used" and cost about $8 each. Who knows, I might even find the bike that was stolen from me there!

No comments: