Monday, May 28, 2007

FINALLY made it Shanghai

Once upon a time (in November 2003 to be exact), while my dear parents were visiting me in Tianjin we bought train tickets for a short trip to the grand city of Shanghai. After buying our tickets I quickly glanced at them to see what time our train would leave. 10:18. We left for the station in plenty of time but upon arriving at the station we were told our train had already left. 2 hours ago! Looking at the tickets a second time I realized the time read 20:18 not 10:18. Lyndsey you stupid girl. Although the story of "the time we almost went to Shanghai" is a good memory, I've learned to tell time now and still wanted to go back. So, almost 4 years later I thought I'd try again. Bought my ticket, checked the time a few times, and set off for a 5 day trip to Shanghai.
******************
Well folks I just returned from my first visit to Shanghai. Its the largest city in China. It really feels like you're in New York City with all of the skyscrapers, traffic jams, and convenience stores on every corner, and an overwhelming feeling that China is becoming more and more westernized. I'm not used to seeing westerners here in Tianjin but in Shanghai they were everywhere... you know, I should stop criticizing the Chinese for staring at me because when I see other westerners I can't help but stare as well.

Lyndsey and a view of Shanghai
Here I am with a view of modern Shanghai in the background


Lions outside a store
These lions are a common sight outside old Chinese buildings, and a lot of big restaurants and stores place them in front these days too. After just confering with my Vietnamese flatmate, we agree their purpose is to protect the building.


yuyuan
This is Yuyuan garden and bazaar. The area is full of old-style Chinese buildings and tons of craft and Chinese souvenir shops. The crowds were a little overwhelming but the place is beautiful.


shanghai traffic
I had never seen such organized traffic in China as in Shanghai. Every street corner had a crossing guards who took their jobs very seriously. I say them giving out tickts left and right to bicyclists who didn't stop for the red light and for pedestrians who bolted across the road before the green walk sign came on...funny though, the tickets they were giving out were just 10rmb ($1.25). The lawbreakers just reached in their pockets, handed the policeman 10rmb, and continued on their way. ... I wonder if the money collected for those tickets is actually handed over to the authorities?


nanjing road
Nanjing Road
This is a famous pedestrian-only shopping street in Shanghai. Notice the lady with her umbrella. Also notice that it is not raining. In China, when the sun comes out, everyone pops open their umbrellas.


shanghai
Nightime view of the Pearl Tower - sadly my camera is fickle with night shots


the bund at night
Last but not least, a night view of the Bund. This is the bank of the river where the British set up headquarters back in the days of their "settlement in Shanghai

1 comment:

Unknown said...

China looks so beautiful in all your pics. I'd love to see it. My list of places just keeps getting longer...lol.

Enjoy your time in China. It looks like you are having a blast.