Saturday, May 26, 2007

Hangzhou: Paradise on Earth


So I am writing from the beautiful town of Hangzhou just 2 hours west of Shanghai. I took a few vacation days from work and took the overnight train to Shanghai on Wednesday night to meet a friend and explore Shanghai together. Today we took a day trip to Hangzhou. There is some old saying that goes something like this: "In heaven there's paradise, on earth there's Hangzhou".

It really is a beautiful city. The west lake and its surrounding area are where all the beauty lies. The lake is large with mountains surrounding it. Old chinese-style boats float around the lake and on the opposite shores there are a few pagodas and temples. Surrounding the lake are cobble-stone walkways and large willow trees. It is such a relaxing break from the fast pace and lack of nature found back in Tianjin.

But I'm sooo tired. Walking all day wears on me...and my shoes too. I think I need to buy a new pair. My right shoe has worn a big hole in bottom and when it rains my right foot gets soaked :p

Well its time to catch the bus back to bustling Shanghai. More stories and photos to come once I get back to Tianjin on Monday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lyndsey,

Thanks for this blog. As I sit awaiting the evapriation of the perspiration in AC at FERAL...This group is pretty great, but you are missed.
NWP

Gabby Girl said...

I used to live in a city called Fuyang that was about an hour by bus away. Nothing much to do there, but it is completely different from Hangzhou. No McDonald's or anything even resembling a western culture. I liked that aspect for the most part because it gave me the sense that I was still in a section of China that hadn't been commercialized yet. Give it 5 - 10 more years and it will be though. It's bound to happen.