Wednesday, September 26, 2007

An Exhausting Day Off

Well, everything is going well here. Yesterday was a vacation day for the Korean School because it was the Korean moon festival (I think). Rajdeep also had off so we spent the day together. I woke up early and made French toast for breakfast mmm then we set off on our bikes for what would be a 6 hour journey all over the city. First, we went to a furniture store and bought a nice comfy sofa for my apartment. Then we went to a culinary school where Rajdeep and his friend arranged a private vegetable carving course. Their teacher is amazing. In 5 minutes he showed us how to carve an intricate dragon head out of a gourd!

Then we rode our bikes to the other side of the city to look for a clothing market and a store that my Korean friend said makes inexpensive curtains. We rode and rode but never found it. ... Then back closer to my home we found another huge clothing market and we found a fabric store. I decided to ask the woman if she could make me some curtains. I chose the fabric, she measured, cut it, and sewed it within 10 minutes. And it only cost 50 yuan (about $6) for the whole thing! Now I can change in my bedroom without worrying if the neighbors can see.

After that Rajdeep and I watched a new movie "The Namesake" about a Bengali family living in America. It was really good. And finally, Rajdeep taught me how to make Chicken Biriyani, my favorite Indian dish!

It was a looooong day but I accomplished so much. Next week we have the entire week off work for China's National Day Holiday!

1 comment:

Jody said...

Hi Lyndsey,
I've really enjoyed reading of your wonderful experiences! I'm happy for you & glad you found a nice place to live. You must get a lot of exercise if you either walk or bike everywhere. Prewarn Rajdeep that we LOVE to eat good food so he may be very busy (ha, ha) if you bring him home to the USA! We are doing well & keeping busy as usual. Ashley's still at WVU & Avery's in Belize for this semester. Dave is still recovering from his accident
but slowing going through a series of surgeries.
LOVE,
Jody